Saturday 25 January 2014

My Wood Effect Guide on Skaven Doom Wheel

Recently someone asked me how I painted my Doom Wheel so I thought I'll post my stages here.

The following shows how I went about it. As I'd mentioned, I only got back into painting after near 20 years absent and was testing different colours and practicing dry brushing and highlighting.  A lot of trial and errors were involved so you learn different techniques.  The effect I got looks ok. 

1. Base paint with P3's Umbral Umber (if you using GW paint anything that's dark brown).
2. Wash with Shadow Black Ink or equivalent.
3. I then mix Umbral Umber with P3's Beast Hide to and drybrushed for a base highlight. (I should make note of ratio!)
4. Drybrushed a smaller highlight of just Beast Hide on top.
5. Mix Beast Hide and small amount of white for gentle drybrush on some edges for the worn out look.
6. Using Tamiya weathering I appled the middle shade of Light Sand for some moss effect.
7. They I apply matt varnish.

Hope this helps.


2 comments:

  1. Nice. Been looking for a good reciepe for wood effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the kind comment. It was trial and error, took me some time to be happy with the final result. I've got two more Doomwheels, so hopefully I'll improve on this version. As they say practice makes perfect!

      Delete